Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Portos Bakery






Okay...I may have fibbed. Bea Bea's is a great brunch place -- but that doesn't stop me from grubbing afterward. :/

"You have to go to Portos!," my cousin insists while we're still at our table waiting for the brunch bill.
"Now? We just ate. What's Portos?"
"It's a pastry shop, and it's sooo good."
"But I'm really full."
"But you can get snacks for later."
"But I'll be eating again later, anyway."
"You can get some pastries to go, for your friends."

Thinking about how I arrived empty-handed at 2 AM to crash at Steph's apartment, I figured that might actually be a really good idea.

And, oh-my-goodness, it was.

Not only is Portos swanky-looking and scene-y, its pastries are unique and affordable. I walked in thinking I would end up paying a lot for a small box of pastries because Portos looks like a shop that would charge customers a lot for a little. I didn't purchase very much at all, but I definitely got more than I bargained for.

The rows of baked goods are simply overwhelming. Guava-cheese pastries, red velvet cupcakes and Florentine cookies stand out. Also, the servers are used to getting overwhelmed customers, so they patiently take their time with each person in line by letting them sample some pastries!

The servers don't rush the customers at all and make them feel as if their orders are really important. Despite this, the line still moves fluidly, and people still come into the shop no matter how busy it is. I wish every bakery was like Portos.

If you want to visit Portos, I would recommend not eating much beforehand. The address is 3614 West Magnolia Blvd., Burbank, CA. Check out the website here: http://www.portosbakery.com/content/portos-burbank


-- Michelle

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you enjoyed it as much as Johnson and I do. Any time you want to come to LA, you have a place to stay with us and we will feed you well! Love you lots :)

    ReplyDelete